Background

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weekend Craft: Magnetic Memo Boards

I hate white walls.  I feel like I'm in a hospital when I'm surrounded by sterile white.  Some people might think the amount of things on my walls is overkill, but I just like to cover them.  It's easier than painting since I will probably move when my lease is up, plus, I hate painting.  I'm messy and I tend to bump into the wall.  Butt prints aren't a good texture.  I digress...

Are any of you avid Instagram users?  I love Instagram.  It makes me feel like I'm a real photographer because of all the cool filters.  The one thing I didn't like about it was that it crops all your photos to a square, which made them hard to print-until now.  There is an app called PostalPix (for iPhone) that prints adorable 4x4's of my beloved Instagram photos.  When I discovered this awesome app, I printed about 30 of my favorites to see how they looked.  I got the prints a couple weeks ago and they are awesome!  Ever since, I have been itching to do something with them, which brings me to the weekend project.


I knew I didn't want a cork board and white boards were expensive and kind of boring, so I decided on something else magnetic.  After I found out the cute ones on Etsy were around $100, I decided to make something myself.  I found my inspiration from Better Homes and Garden (see it here).  I went to Walmart (yes, I hate that place, but I knew they would have a cheap option) and found this:




That's right, my magnetic memo board only cost $0.97!  I liked the suggestion of covering the middle in scrapbook paper, so I went to Michael's and found a simple design.  I used the sticky stuff that was already on the cookie sheet (from the above paper) to adhere the scrapbook paper.  You could use tape, too, but I just went with what was in front of me.  Since there wasn't a hole in the pan to hang it from, I used the 3M Command strips with the velcro.  Lastly, I arranged the photos and used some small magnets I picked up at the craft store.  The finished product:


I didn't intend on making one colorful and the other more B&W, but that is what happened. I'm excited to keep updating  the boards as I take and print more photos.  The best part is how inexpensive and simple they were!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment