Background

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Favorite Brownie Recipe

When I was younger, I didn't know that you could make brownies from scratch.  My mom always made them from a box because it is faster and easier.  When Rob first introduced me to brownies from scratch, I wasn't too excited about the long process; boxes were just easier.  I really hate melting chocolate because even with a double-boiler, I can get impatient and burn it.

My life was forever changed with my good friend Mary introduced me to her brownies.  They have a wonderful crust on top, are very chocolatey, and gooey.  The best part is they do not involve melting chocolate!  I made them last week for my boss' birthday.  He loves peanut butter and chocolate, so I added a layer of Reese's.  Here was the finished product:

Hello, lover...

Mary Winter Brownies:

What you need:
3/4 cup room temperature butter (I use unsalted)
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa (I use Hershey's unsweetened)
1/2 bag chocolate chips (dark chocolate is best)

How you make them:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix the salt, baking powder, flour and cocoa together.
3. In a different, bigger bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
4. To this, add the vanilla and eggs, mix well.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients .  I usually do this in 3 parts so I don't make a huge mess.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Pour batter into a greased 9x9 pan.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Double batch bakes for 45-50 minutes)

Variations:  These brownies are really yummy with Heath bar, either on top or mixed in.  In the picture above, I made a double batch without the chocolate chips, put in half the batter, placed 25ish Reese's on top, then poured the rest of the batter on top.  A double batch bakes for 45-50 minutes.  Mine got a little too done on the bottom (in a Pyrex) because I didn't want them to be too gooey, but next time I will take them out a little sooner.

Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. They look delicious! Will have to try them sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. idk. I think I would still prefer my salted fudge recipe (but only when it's made in Madrid...doesn't taste the same stateside)

    ReplyDelete